HI THERE, I'M FRAN!
I was born and raised in Chile, but call Washington state home. I first learned to quilt while pregnant with my oldest in 2014. However, it wasn't until 2018 when I encountered the modern quilting movement that I was hooked.
Before starting Cotton and Joy I worked 8 years as a web designer and I originally created this space as a way to share my quilty adventures. However, the designer in me couldn't help to dream up my own designs and I soon learned how to draft quilt patterns.
I love designing quilts and contributing to the long tradition of quilting. My aim is to create a fast-finishes that anyone, from inexperienced beginners to long-time quilters, can enjoy making.
- I have lived in 3 different countries (Chile, US, Germany), and 3 different states (MI, WA, TX) for a total of 14 homes.
- I am University of Washington Husky twice over with a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and a Master in Library and Information Sciences.
- My favorite authors include Jodi Picoult, Sarah J. Maas, and Mariana Zapata.
- I can't start my day without a cup of hot tea and I live for a good taco.
- Florence and the Machine, Death Cab for Cutie, Hozier, and Foo Fighters are some of my favorite bands.
COLLABORATIONS AND PARTNERSHIPS
Riley Blake Designs / Fabric Designer
Learn more about my fabric collections here.
Autumn Breeze - Mini Quilts
Midpoint - Use of Negative Space
Blended - Fabric Challenge
MEDIA AND PRESS
Quilt Buzz Podcast
Episode 46, December 2021
Not Your Granny's Quilt Show
Episode 24, April 2022
Love Patchwork & Quilting Magazine
Issues 110 and 112, Pattern Round Up
Issue 113, Meet the Quilter Feature
Issue 121, Sherbet Chevrons Pattern (cover quilt)
Quilts and More Magazine
Winter 2023, Scrap Lab Quilt Pattern